Research Guide – Middle School
index cards of various colors with elastics
favorite writing tools
- Choose a topic and have it approved by your
- Brainstorm questions and write each question on a separate card,
all one color.
- Collect information from:
books (photocopy pages you want to read)
- List the citation information for each source on cards of a second
color or on the citation worksheet.
- Take a break because you have been working hard.
- Settle into a spot where there will be no interruptions and begin
to read the information and highlight answers to your questions.
- Write notes on the back of each question card, as you find your
- Include additional information that you come across on new note cards.
- Arrange your cards in an order that make sense to you.
- Type your notes into complete sentences.
- Type your citations page from cards or worksheet.
- Edit your draft.